Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Three foods for my battle

Pain and health problems run in my family. 

So it really shouldn't have surprised me, after spending my childhood and teen years battling injuries, that I should begin to live a life of pain as I got older.

Now I have begun to experience symptoms that lead to a strong likelihood that I have some form of arthritis. Whether it's a standard arthritis like osteoarthritis, or an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis, I don't know.  But suddenly I have found myself able to work on my computer and my artwork less.  Once you start looking for ways to compensate, including exchanging a mouse for a trackpad, trying not to do so much with your hands and taking lots of breaks, taking supplements, etc., you look for any and every way to improve your situation.

The pain and inflammation became a hindrance. So, rather than automatically just try to get stronger and stronger pain killers, it became evident that I should do my body a huge favor and look for some tasty foods.  Now I have three items that were already on my list of cravings, so these are my win-win, go to items that I found with a little search on ye olde Internet.

1) Tart Cherries



I drool just looking at the picture.  Here's the way I look at it.  If these things don't work, what is the harm? I've eaten one of my favorite things on a regular basis.  I've probably replaced something much junkier with this healthful snack.  This can lead to weightloss which will definitely help with pain. 

2) Walnuts

Apparently these are chock full of Omega-3s and all sorts of good stuff.  One can't really totally pig out, but a 1/2 cup a day is darn awesome.  Now I'm thinking, what can be done with cherries AND walnuts together.  


3) Finally, last but not least one of my favorite beverages (and yes it's listed as a food on a website I was reading): Green Tea.





I already have an affinity for Tazo's Zen Green Tea, as well as Trader Joe's Jasmine Green Tea and Celestial Seasonings Dragonfruit Melon Green Tea.  This gives me just one more excuse!

Now if only these items were a cure.  Regardless, just the endorphins created from the joy of eating such tasty items should be a boost to my health.

Do you have pain? If so, maybe you too will be helped by the above items.  There's no harm in trying, right?





No comments:

Post a Comment